Wednesday, July 15, 2009

When does art start... and where does it come from?

I started out this summer, as an artist that hasn't created in over 2 years... lack of focus mostly.

Being a divorced dad of 2, ex-wife moving out of state and my keeping custody of my 2 perfect kids. Took the "scul" out of my sculpting.

THIS year I decided that when the kids go away to their mom's house in South Carolina I would use the time until they return for school in the fall to create. Every day for 3 months... YEAH RIGHT!

My PLAN was simple, use my loneliness and depression caused by my kids being out of state, to create some deep and meaningful work. You know the kind... heart wrenching and thought provoking, with deep seated political and emotional commentary that would strike the most art-disabled mind with awe!

So I start... and what do I find myself pouring all of my heart and grand plans into? Art that will change the world? ART that makes a person stop and think? Nope...



I start building a big dragon... a big one , yeah...

What a statement, a giant lizard that could (depending on whichever culture at whatever century) unlock the wisdom of the ages, swim around playing Marco-polo in some lake in Scotland, or eat my livestock and breath fire on my crops...

... my only thought in the process of building this thing up to now has been, "WOW! He looks pretty cool, but what should I name him? FRED! Yeah... a big dragon sculpture named Fred! That works!"


Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with Fred so far... I started with his head and now have moved on to build the sub-structure for the rest of his body... but is Fred meaningful? NO! Artistic I think, maybe a warm up to other things... maybe not.

It sounds strange, but meaningful or not I'm really just looking forward to seeing a 12 foot long dragon in my living room.

So any way... my question in all this is a weird one...

When does art start, and where the heck does it come from?

2 comments:

  1. Cool! Love the start of Fred! How much do you sell the dragons for?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fred....we at least you're creating again. I like the way you're rambling on...its like we're on the phone. Seriously sounding like yourself is the key.
    I cant wait to see the babes in less than 3 weeks!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Utterly clueless & completely without substance

This blog may be about art, or it could be about large collections of used up batteries, or it might be about small plastic drinking straws... most likely it's just be a stream of random profanity thrown out there for my own amusement... I'm not sure yet.